Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Stirring Inside My Soul

I grew up not going to church on a regular basis.  We did not pray before a meal, or before bed, or pray for those that needed it.  We didn't give to any charity, or volunteer in the community.  By a lot of U.S. standards, we were the charity.  We were a low income family, usually with one working parent and 3 kids.  Times were usually tough, no matter what the economy did and money was always tight.  We never had faith that "God will provide".  I remember asking my parents one time "are we Christians".  I am sure I heard the term somewhere and I remember wanting to be, so when my dad replied "Yes, we all are".  I thought "Cool!"  I was raised by parents that thought believing in God, made you a Christian.  That's it.  It was that easy.  I thought, "Wow, that is all I have to do is just believe and I am in?!?!"

I grew up, met my husband and started going to church regularly, and learned that being a Christian is so much more than that.  I finally felt like I was one.  I went to church 2-3 times a week, paid tithe, sometimes paid a little extra (offering), read my bible and volunteered.  And I thought, "huh, this is pretty easy!"  Then we moved to Springfield and my life changed, for the better!

We started going to an awesome chuch.  A church that I felt (and still feel) are the hands and feet of God.  A church that really does want to help the poor, illiterate and disease stricken.  I also met some friends.  Some of the best friends I will probably ever have.  Some friends that challenge me and my relationship with God. 

In small group we started reading a book called "The Irresistible Revolution".  I have read the first 3 chapters so far, and I feel something stirring in me.  Something I can't explain, but it is making me think and wonder, "Am I really a Christian?"  To be a Christian, I think is to carry on the work that Jesus stated.  If I am being honest, am I really doing that?  I feel caught between two worlds right now.  One, the American world where we all have more than we need, but still want more and the true Christian world, where I give everything I have to help someone in need. I feel like I am in the middle.  It is more "normal" in our society to live out the American Dream.  So, in order to look sane to everyone else, I feel that is what I need to do.  Look at us.  We look like an All American Family, living that dream.. a house, two cars, a fenced in yard, a cat, a dog, a kid, church on Sunday.  But what does God see when he looks at me, and our life?  I am sure he doesn't think "Aw, look at them, living the life I had planned."  I am begining to think he says "When are they going to love my people?" 

So here I sit, wondering where to go from here?  Which life to pursue?  I want to be a real Christian, continuing the legacy of Jesus.  But does that mean giving up some of the luxeries I have grown to love and take for granted? I pray that the God that I love more than anything helps me figure out where I belong.

3 comments:

  1. I have been feeling this exact same way for the last couple of months Elizabeth. It's like there is something new on the horizon, but I can't quite see what it is or what God wants me to do with these new things he is teaching me. I know exactly what you mean when you say:

    "I feel caught between two worlds right now. One, the American world where we all have more than we need, but still want more and the true Christian world, where I give everything I have to help someone in need. I feel like I am in the middle. It is more "normal" in our society to live out the American Dream. So, in order to look sane to everyone else, I feel that is what I need to do. Look at us. We look like an All American Family, living that dream.. a house, two cars, a fenced in yard, a cat, a dog, a kid, church on Sunday. But what does God see when he looks at me, and our life? I am sure he doesn't think "Aw, look at them, living the life I had planned." I am begining to think he says "When are they going to love my people?"

    Thanks for this post...and your awesome friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, now you see why Boyd and I can't get enough of this book! I have been wrestling for months with the exact feelings you have described. Why should it be crazy to love God's people? Its sad that this is what we have become, but its not easy to think of life any differently either. So glad God is speaking to you through this book and look forward to talking to you more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still visiting.

    I'm a minister and have some of these same questions. It is easy to preach in affluent America. What about in an impoverished 3rd world nation? Truth is, God needs his people everywhere. But, we are to be a part from the world. It may mean doing without some of the extravagances of the world. It also means being in service to the world.

    I'm reading a deeply moving book now, "Children Mean the World to God" by Dr. Harold Shank. It is a theology of childhood. It talks about the value of childhood and ministry to children. So many churches miss one of the most Jesus-like thing they could do: create an environment where children feel excited to come to Jesus.

    Was introduced to this book when I spoke at a retreat with the author. He also discussed another important them: ministry to the disenfranchised. I came away realizing that my life would count for loving children and the impoverished. And there are plenty of both right here in America!

    This was a very good post. Would you mind if I printed it and read part of it in church this Sunday? It goes with some of what I will be talking about.

    wb

    ReplyDelete